50+ Mental Health PDF Books & Resources
The link below contains over 50 PDF Books, Worksheets, Workbooks, and Guides to help others cope with anxiety/fear, addiction, depression, suicidal ideation and stress. Have a look and see if any could help you or your loved ones.
Mitch's Health Support Resources
I’ve compiled the resources that helped me when it seemed like nothing was working for my Crohn’s and my depression hit it’s lowest point. Through mindfulness, self discipline and tracking Mitch was able to beat his depression and manage his Crohn’s mainly through proper eating and fasting. I’d like preface the resources below by saying;
I’m not a doctor so I don’t give medical advice. I’m sharing my story and the tools that changed my life in hopes of helping others. Everyone’s body and mind is different, but anyone can use these tools to learn about themselves and what works for your body, mind and spirit!
MIND, BODY AND SPIRIT TRACKING JOURNAL
Please be advised that my entries are extremely vivid, detailed, and open. My pages are not for everyone, so please proceed with discretion. These pages have never been shared with anyone. Certain words and phrases have been blacked-out to ensure that they are suitable for both children and adults. The primary focus of this is to share my story and the benefit of journal tracking.
My Tracking & Elimination Journey
1 – Tracking the mind, body, and spirit will help you understand how nutrition, medication, stress, emotion, exercise (physical or mental), and relationships affect your everyday life. After a few months of tracking you will notice patterns you couldn’t previously envision. This helps you to better understand your health issues, no matter the severity.
2 – Understanding the negative aspects of your lifestyle through your journal entries will help you to make eliminations that are necessary. Your self-knowledge journey is the most difficult part, so hang in there.
This is not about tracking calories for dietary adjustments in order to lose or gain weight. Proper nutrition is key and will be a part of your journey when you are ready. However, in the beginning when you are suffering, you need to analyze your entries and notice the impact certain foods have on your overall well being. This process is the key to becoming healthier.
It is important that you are working with your doctor and/or dietitian during any major initial changes to your body and diet.
While unknowingly facing potential death during my second hospitalization in July 2018, I decided I needed to take control of my own health. I began tracking what I consumed and eliminating what I knew wasn’t working for me. I was fortunate to have an exceptional Gastrointestinal team at the QE2 who monitored and tested my blood at least once daily to monitor any changes and make sure I was on the right track.
Although I was not always in agreement with the suggested path the G.I Team advised, modern medicine ultimately helped control my Crohn’s during the most extreme stage, but it did not treat the root cause.
During my nine months of tracking I would sabotage my body by eating toxic foods and binge eating late at night. My body responded and my gas, pain, vomiting and bowel movements worsened so much that I knew I needed to make a change. I was literally killing myself with poor nutrition, which not only made my Chron’s worse but also caused severe depression and anxiety. I took control of my diet for three strict months, and alleviated some of my depression symptoms.
After being released from the hospital I had my blood checked once a week. Currently, I get my bloodwork done once a month to ensure I continue down a path of good health.
It wasn’t until I moved to Montreal and started listening to Dr. Peterson that I viewed my tracking and elimination process as life or death. Now, the results speak for themselves.
It wasn’t until listening to Dr. Peterson and moved to Montreal I took my tracking and elimination as life or death. Now, the results speak for themselves.
My Journal - July 17th, 2018
What I Learned
- I was depressed for 10 years, and severely for the past 3 years.
- I had severe anxiety and currently still battle anxious tenancies.
- Depressive & anxious tendencies never truly go away, but you can learn to deal with it in different ways and reduce the severity to live a happy and fulfilling life.
- I wasn’t honest with myself and those closest to me.
- Self knowledge and discovery through sharing with loved ones is key to improving mental health.
- I knew nothing about myself and specifically my gut health and food intolerance.
- Different fasting methods are the key to my gut health improvement.
- Fasting for 24hrs reduced my overall bowl & intestinal inflammation to remission status.
- Spicy, lactose, grain, processed carbs and any highly acidic foods have been eliminated from my diet.
- Most processed carbohydrate heavy foods caused ZERO positive effects on my physical and mental health.
- Beef, chicken, fish, eggs, carrots are my safe foods. They made up most of my diet when doing my 9 months tracking journey.
- Generally speaking, the least amount of ingredients I eat the better my gut and mental health feel.
- Nuts, Veggies and other high fiber foods are hard to digest during my flares but can be slowly integrated when bowel inflammation is under control.
- My food intolerance played a huge part in the development of my Crohn’s.
- Life long allergies may have lead to worsening Crohn’s and gut health.
- I most likely had Crohn’s and high inflammation for many years which was exacerbating my life long depression.
The Tracking Process
How I track – Pen and paper! I wrote down everything when I felt healthy and able enough. I’d use the notes app on my iPhone when I didn’t have the energy or strength to write. The process of physically writing was therapeutic, and I recommend handwriting over using technology for journaling.
1) Consumptions I track:
- All nutrition: food, drink, supplements, and medication
- Relationships, conversations, and interactions
- Readings and listening
- Media and video
- Physical activity
- Mental stimulation
2) How my mind, body, and spirit reacted to all of the above consumptions.
3) Trigger foods, medication, drinks, and situations. These triggers now make up my elimination list.
4) High and low point of each day
5) Symptoms, side effects, levels, markers, and patterns including:
- Stomach pain with 1-10 scale
- Fatigue levels with 1-10 scale
- Bowel movements with great detail
- Nausea, vomiting, gas, bloating, cramps
- Emotions, reactions, and energies during solitude and while interacting with others
- Hair loss, weight loss, teeth sensitivities
- Sleep schedule
- Joint and muscle pains
- Blood pressure, CRP marker, blood counts
- Electrolytes (Sodium, Magnesium, Potassium), Iron, B12
Dr Jordan B. Peterson
During my ideal times (bed-rest, cleaning, driving) I started listening to Dr. Peterson podcasts and my life changed forever. It was the single most important factor in my decision to stick out my altered SCD diet which eventually leading to beating my depression and getting my Crohns under control.
Dr. Peterson taught me so much about myself in a short time. He gave me the confidence to move to Montreal, get healthy, peruse my dreams and now speak out about my struggles. Thank you Dr. Peterson, You’ve helped me repair my body, mind, relationships and my ability to help others. You saved my life in so many ways, I am forever grateful. If you’re interested in learning about yourself and Dr. Peterson’s personal struggles with depression and autoimmune disorders please check his website Dr. Jordan B. Peterson. .
Check out at https://jordanbpeterson.com
Breaking the vicious cycle
The specific carbohydrate diet (SCD) is a nutritionally complete grain- free diet, low in sugar and lactose. It was developed by Dr. Sidney Haas, a pediatrician, in the 1920’s as treatment for celiac disease. In 1994 the comprehensive guide to following the SCD diet Breaking the Vicious Cycle was written. This diet helped kick start my dietary changes and my lifelong journey of better understanding my body’s relationship with food. The SCD diet is not for everyone but it’s worked for me and for millions of other who suffered from IBD around the globe.
For more information, check out those resources:
Amazing modern up to date SCD resource for people with IBD, leaky gut and other G.I tract related issues: https://scdlifestyle.com/
Online Health Support Community (Reddit)
Talk online in anonymity with over 20,000 people affected by Crohns & IBD. Ask questions, research, and most importantly find support in a safe and private area from thousands of friendly people with who can relate to your struggles.
If you aren’t comfortable talking in person about your struggles there are Please reach out if you need helping navigating Reddit, It’s a powerful tool.
Other Reddit Online Support Community
- Mental Health – Reddit.com/r/mentalhealth
- Meditation – Reddit.com/r/medication
- Mental Health – Reddit.com/r/mentalhealth
- Meditation – Reddit.com/r/medication
Poppy (Lenoard Durdle)
Ryan Montgomery (Royce da 5'9")
Physical & Mental Recovery
Stretching & Posture
Losing my posture due to months of bending over in pain and an overall transition from active to inactive during bed-rest was a huge blow to my confidence . Posture direct is simple stretching website that teaches you to fix specific. Gaining confidence from better posture through learning about stretching was a great tool for a normally active athlete who could barely move at time
Meditation - The Miracle of Mindfulness